As health and organic food purchases rise, learning how to make your own smoothies at home is a wise and cost saving choice. Rather than purchase your favorite smoothie at an expensive juice bar, start making at home for a quick, healthy start to your day. I came across this particular papaya smoothie recipe during my travels in Asia. It is a popular favorite in the night markets there where it can be purchased for two dollars or less.
Ingredients You Will Need
- To make the papaya smoothie you will need to buy these things. You will also need to have a spoon, knife, blender, and cups.
- One third of a papaya
- One medium, ripe banana
- 1 ½ cup milk, more if you want it thinner
- Yogurt is optional
Making the Smoothie-the Steps
- First, peel the papaya and banana. Cut the papaya and banana into small and manageable pieces.
- Measure out the cup of milk. Pour it into a blender.
- Gradually add pieces of the papaya and the banana as you run the blender on the lowest setting. Add fruit until all of it is gone. If you want to add yogurt to make your papaya smoothie high in protein, do so now. Plain or vanilla yogurt taste very good mixed in.
- The papaya smoothie should come out to milk like consistency. If you want a colder, thicker drink, take away half of the papaya smoothie and add two cups of ice gradually until it blends smoothly.
- Make sure that the smoothie is thoroughly blended; you do not want to have a lot of fruit chunks in your smoothie. Pour the smoothie into one big cup or two smaller cups and add a straw. Enjoy!
Modifications for Your Drink
You can adjust the amounts of banana and papaya to suit your taste. You can also try adding a little cinnamon to add extra flavor and additional heart healthy nutrients. Ice can be added to make it a thicker consistency, but the papaya smoothie tastes great in its natural, milky consistency. Adding other fruits can add a great deal of nutritional benefits and can be done to change the taste of the smoothie. This smoothie is often enjoyed during hot summer afternoons by the Taiwanese and is a favorite of night market visitors. Served quickly and efficiently, it a perfect treat to help you cool off during a sweltering summer day.
You can find more guides on how to make smoothies at SmoothieInsight.